Friday, June 18, 2021

Samoan language week-The Umu.

Samoan Language Week - The Umu By Aadirai “I can’t wait to suck my teeth into the juicy, hot looking meat in the umu”, I thought in my head as I saw the delicious looking food burning and being cooked in the umu. Although I was also sad because it was Miss Haslem’s last day. Last Friday it was the last day of Samoan language week, and since it was the last day we decided to do an umu for the school. I was so excited when I heard that we were having an umu. But in the morning we first had to go to Room 6’s assembly. After the assembly, we were allowed to see how the umu was going. As we went to the umu, I could smell the scrumptious food cooking in the umu. “Mmmm, that smell’s good!” I said. The whole school was gathering around the umu. Ayla’s Mum Jasma, her Dad Lawrence and her brother were helping with the umu. I was getting so hungry by looking at the food, but they said that I had to wait until lunchtime. Before it was lunchtime we went to the top court to sing the national anthem of Samoa. The song was beautiful, a while later, Father Ben came. While we were singing, Mr.T was raising the flag slowly. Soon the lunch bell rang. Every class was lining up to go to the hall to try out the umu. The disappointing thing was that Room 2 was last to get the food. Staring at people eating the food made me hungry. We lined up in the hall and we waited for our food. Finally it was my turn, I took some seafood, chop suey, pork buns and pork. My favourite was the seafood and the pork bun, but everything was delicious. It was nice to end Samoan language week with an umu, but best of all we had a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment